In Employment Law, Online Course

The first step in obtaining an Employer Identification Number will be to establish that your principal business is located in the United States or U.S. Territories. There can only be one person who applies for the EIN, and that person must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN, SSN, EIN). That person must also be a responsible party that ultimately owns or controls the entity or someone who exercises ultimate control over the entity.

There is an online application that is able to be submitted through the IRS at, which will allow you to receive your EIN immediately upon completion with a confirmation notice that is able to be downloaded, saved, or printed. Applications cannot be processed if the responsible party is an entity that already has a number previously obtained through the IRS website. 

Publication 15 provides information on employer tax responsibilities related to taxable wages, employment tax withholding and which tax returns must be filed. Publication 15 can be found on too. More complex issues are discussed in Publication 15-A and tax treatment of many employee benefits can be found as well.

Applications may also be submitted by mail. The same form is used to apply by mail and fax. The mailed application must go to the PO Box address listed on the IRS website for the IRS in Cincinnati, Ohio. Only one application may be submitted per day. 

Don’t let taxes and the IRS stand in your way from earning a profit the day of your first sale. Please consult a tax professional for further information so they can help you gameplan the tax side of your business. But, for the legal side, use Startup, Legally! to get a leg up on the competition.


About the Author

Wesley Henderson is a business attorney with Henderson & Henderson law firm in Charleston SC. He focuses on helping businesses navigate their legal environment, including local boaters opening any type of boating, cruising, navigating on water new business. Wesley can be reached by email or by phone at 843-212-3188.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

If you are searching for personalized legal advice please call (843) 212-3188, or email me. We are here to serve you.

Call Now Button